on 11 September 2011
I bought this to replace an excellent Canon Ixus 850iS which had suffered from the lens not retracting.

The first one I received was most of the time emitting a continuous tone from the speaker - unless one was recording a video - so I sent it back for a replacement which was processed without a problem.

The second one's fine - except that I've badly scratched the rear touch-screen putting it into a zipped pocket out of its case (which I had to buy separately in any case!).

I bought the recommended Canon case for it - the DCC-70 - although I have to say it's a VERY tight fit - and there's no space for a spare battery.

I also didn't realise it didn't come with a memory card at all (my 850iS had a very small one) - fortunately my previous camera's 2GB card could be used - so factor that in if you don't have any space SDHC cards.

I've also bought two spare batteries following reports that battery life is low - although it's not been a problem so far. Since they're £30+ new I've bought second-hand ones off eBay.

The touch screen is great, albeit a little tricky to operate at times - but it certainly makes getting round the various options much easier than my previous camera.

Generally it seems to be an improvement all round on my 850iS (as expected) though it seems reluctant at times to properly focus on the subject in macro mode.

EDIT - I've found a possible reason for the poor battery life. Sometimes it runs down quicker than I'd expect. The villain might be using the Canon case they recommend. I suspect the button on the back on the camera gets pressed sometimes when it's in the case turning the display on and wasting battery. Thank goodness I bought a spare battery and then another when I temporarily lost the original. Bought for a few pounds on eBay...
0Comment| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?