on 12 July 2013
I didn't fully grasp what this book was going to contain from its description; if I had I wouldn't have bought it. I discounted the existence of the word 'vloume' in the Amazon description as being a typo. I still suspect it is, but Amazon have copied the back glossy cover text accurately - the publishers think it's a vloume in a series too. When I got the book and realised this I was afraid that the same [lack of] attention to detail would be spread all through the book.
To some extent it is; many of the 'present' pictures are in black-and-white, but some of the 'past' ones are in colour - and then you realise that they were taken at about the same date in different locations. Quite a lot of the text is devoted to explaining why the 'present' picture of any pair is taken from a viewpoint almost but not quite totally different from the original; this is mostly because new roads get built and trees grow.
On the other hand, my last reading about the Ffestiniog was the classic Boyd 2-volume history, read 45 years ago, so almost everything in this book is new to me. My other purpose in buying the book was to get some photos enabling me to decide whether to build an impulse-purchase model railway kit as Linda or Blanche; I'd almost decided on the latter and the book convinced me. As the kit was 20 times the price of the book, the value for money is good.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink