5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Big Country [Blu-ray] [1958] (Blu-ray)
I am happy to report that the new region-free Blu-ray version has just been released in the UK. It is a treat, with superb video, excellent resolution and wonderful sound quality, albeit somewhat attenuated. I just turned up the volume. There is no evidence (to my eyes) of the reported aspect ratio problem with the imported US version. A classic film with which every western fan will be familiar. Highly recommended!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Feb 2014 11:20:35 GMT
Are you sure this has the correct aspect ratio? Have you seen the US version? If you live in the London area maybe we could compare.

blackmoorm@aol.com

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2014 16:33:53 GMT
Speedigee says:
Malcolm, I can only say that there does not seem to be any problem with the aspect ratio to my eye. I have not seen the US version but some reports seem to indicate that there may be problems with it.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2014 16:46:01 GMT
Thank you - it's not SOME REPORTS - it's definitely been processed with the wrong ratio squeeze from the Technirama original and there's no mistaking the problem in every shot. It received considerable discussion on Home Theater Forum with the problem diagnosed in detail by Robert A Harris. I'm curious to know whether this UK release has been corrected as nobody on HTF has so far commented. I'm offering a research event if you're available and interested. Malcolm

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2014 17:58:27 GMT
MovieDuck says:
I have the German release, which as far as I know is identical to the UK one. If there's any stretching then I can't detect it, and I'm pretty sensitive where these things are concerned. Any distortion certainly isn't of the order of Academy Ratio stretched to 16:9, as some reviewers of the US disc claim. Looking at the screen captures on Blu-Ray Review the image does seem flattened, but I don't get the same impression watching my German disc.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2014 09:01:27 GMT
Many thanks for your reply. I'm hoping you're correct that the Blu-ray has been remade since its US issue as I am tempted to buy it. You say you've seen shots from the US version and, in case you don't know, Robert A Harris explained on Home Theater Forum that the wrong unsqueeze factor was applied to the Technirama image - I can't remember the figure - and that's why faces appear slightly chubby! It's not a dramatically drastic error but certainly enough for a re-issue to be required. I have the US version and I was constantly aware of the mistake when watching it. I'd love to be able to compare the discs and if you're in the London area maybe you'd like to help to save me possibly buying the same transfer again.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2014 20:10:00 GMT
MovieDuck says:
Sadly I live way oop narth in Leeds, otherwise I'd happily give you a gander. I did read Harris's comments as TBC is one of my favourite movies, and I can only say that - as the differing reviews show - these problems are entirely in the eye of the beholder. Honestly, I can't imagine that the studio doing a re-scan just for the European market. Why not simply order the Blu from Amazon and return it if you're not satisfied?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2014 11:40:28 GMT
Thanks again for the information and I agree - for the sake of the modest price it's worth finding out if it's fixed, although I'm surprised that there hasn't been a general celebration from the rooftops. I first saw this on original release on a then existing wonderful large screen cinema in Cardiff.

Here's a moment of trivia for you: In Charlton Heston's Journals he described how, when in Rome with Ben Hur, William Wyler shot some closeups for thefight and had to import a Technirama camera specially. But in the finished film there are no closeups during the fight so it was all a waste of time, money & effort.

Best wishes, Malcolm Blackmoor

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2014 16:53:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Apr 2014 16:53:43 BDT
Ramin says:
Thank you Speedygee for this review, as well as for your post on a separate review of this product.

Mr Malcolm Blackmoor, if you bought the UK release since your last post here, could you please post again to say how it compares to the US release that you already owned? [cool bit of trivia about Ben Hur by the way!]

Many thanks,
Ramin.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2014 17:04:31 BDT
Dear Ramin,

I don't know whether you look at HOME THEATER FORUM but about two weeks ago it was definitely established that the German, UK & US releases share the identical wrongly decoded Technirama squeeze. The result is that at present there is no available Blu-ray of THE BIG COUNTRY that doesn't have the wrong aspect ratio, resulting in elliptical wagon wheels and fat faces!!

Best wishes,

Malcolm Blackmoor

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2014 17:10:51 BDT
Ramin says:
Many thanks Malcolm and much appreciated!
That's a Big Shame - one of my most favourite movies! At least this simplifies my buying options if they're all the same.
All the very best to you too,
Ramin.