on 10 March 2011
I bought this book as a fellow student recommended it as a companion to my science studies.

I have never really been interested in astronomy previously, but then again have never really known much about astronomy. My initial reluctance at reading this book was overcome in the first two chapters. What I imagined might be a subject matter I would not like, this book turned out to be quite an addictive read detailing the history and endeavours behind astronomy.

It does not just focus on scientific achievements solely, but the thinking behind the experiments and research and does convey a good picture of the scientists behind astronomical advances over the centuries, with some quite incredible facts detailed.

I do not pretend to understand all the concepts and material put forward in this book, but happily finished it with a much, much better understanding of this particular scientific discipline. While I don't think I will ever be doing any of the astronomy projects featured throughout the book, and will certainly respect the night sky a lot more now.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink