on 9 March 2011
I previously owned MLB '08 so apologise if some of the updates I mention have also featured on '09 or '10.

As the title suggests this is an immense game. Having only owned it for a couple of days I am already hooked on both the Franchise mode and the Road To The Show. The modes are fairly similar in terms of interface and game play but there are some key improvements.

Firstly the graphics. They are superb, the detail is incredible right down to the differing grips on the pitches. So far the only bug I have encountered is that when fans try to grab a foul ball they sometimes lean through the advertising hoardings.

A new aspect to the game play is the all analogue stick style of playing. For batting this means using the right and left analogue sticks to control when the batter steps forward into his swing, when you swing and the direction of the swing. Whilst this takes some time to get used to when it comes together it makes hitting home runs all the sweeter, and if you struggle with it then there is always the classic controls that are still available. With pitching you use the analogue sticks to control his arms and get the timing just right. Again it takes some time to get used to and again the classic controls are there if it becomes to troublesome. I was defeated by this I must admit but my friend now swears by it.

Base running has also been upgraded, and in my opinion, improved. After a hit simply push forward on the left analogue stick to continue running or release to stop at the next base. Much simpler than MLB '08 where you could easily overrun the base by holding down L1 to run.

RTTS is pretty much the same to play though there are new elements. Batter performance is now done by each plate appearance, so a first pitch pop out in foul ground will not go down well, but hit it for a home run and the rating goes up. These rating determine your training points that, as before, are used to increase your stas, usually in line with the advancement goals. This means though that there are no longer in game goals to try an accomplish, such as driving a run in or getting on base or taking a strike, which I missed as it is more realistic in terms of what a batsman in told to do during a game. But I have only just started my RTTS so it may come later on. Also, I have yet to try pitching on RTTS so when I do I will update. One really nice add on that makes it more realistic is that once you have created your player you can choose to enter the draft rather than just picking a team, meaning you end up at a random team that needs you rather than your favourite team.

Overall this game is by far and away the best (and so far as I can tell the only) baseball game out there. The improvements may not be drastic but they keep the game fresh and new. I would recommend this to any lover of baseball or indeed anyone interested in trying a baseball game. A great all round production.
0Comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?