Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

VINE VOICEon June 2, 2011
Having studied the Tudor period for my a-levels and having an interest in it, I looked forward to this. I had heard Suzannah Dunn speaking about it and she seemed to have done her research well.

The book didn't disappoint. It is told from the story of Cat Tilney, a close friend of Katherine and part of the queen's household. It was a refreshing change to see what unfolds from her perspective. I also thought Dunn had done an exceptional job of explaining what happened without making it boring or too complicated.

It shocked me how naive Katherine was. At times I was shouting 'what are you doing?!'. She truly believed that Thomas Culpepper was what she deserved, for having to put up with the king. Historians have labelled her as a silly little girl. I think she was quite the opposite. She knew exactly what she was doing. As it says in the book, 'she was a girl who couldn't help herself.'

It lost a star because there were some grammatical errors that really irritated me and I did find myself unsure of who was who at times (perhaps this says more about how much I concentrated in history!).

The ending has been criticized by some but I found it perfect. After all, we are all aware of what happens. For me, it's the build up that is the most interesting.

This was a book that I really enjoyed. It's not a history textbook and if that's what you are expecting, you'll be sadly disappointed. If you want a good novel, based on history, you could do a lot worse than this!
What's this?