on 13 November 2013
This is a brilliant piece of kit and works in almost any situation.
I purchased this for a series of interview I needed to shoot abroad and portability and kit weight were my main concerns. (I had to leave my manfrotto head/legs at home.)
The Gorillapod from Joby not only weighs next to nothing but it's made well and can take a battering. I've loaded it with over 5Kg (lens, body, mic rails, follow focus) and it was still 100% responsive.
With a body/lens only config, I've wrapped it around lampposts, branches, chair arms, my own neck (don't ask) chair backs and even just used it as a regular tripod on a table (I know.. crazy right?) I was always amazed at it's flexibility and strength in all those situations.
As soon as you come to terms with the fact that you will never be able to perfectly straighten out each joint on each leg, you will sleep easier. Believe me, I tried many many times. This is by no means a negative just more of a passing comment for the obsessives amongst us.
In good conscience I can't recommend this as the only tripod you will ever need because titling and panning can be a little bit bumpy. Thats not down to the build quality of the Gorillapod (which is excellent), it's just that with something this small, the weight isn't there to balance out those pan/tilt moves well enough.
In summary, it is one of the best additions I've made to my support kit for a quite while. It's very well made, its light, cheap, looks good and can take a beating in the bottom of any kit bag. Whether you are a casual photographer or seasoned DSLR pro, I would recommend the Gorillapod without hesitation as a valuable addition to your kit. Happy shooting!
5 people found this helpful