Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Compilation Spoilt by a few poor Vinyl Rips, 11 Sept. 2013
This review is from: 12" 80s Club Classics (Audio CD)
I purchased this CD with high hopes, but alas it wasn't the top notch audio quality I was hoping for. For the most part the songs sound crystal clear and are great quality, but some - namely "I Feel For You", "All and All", "My Magic Man" and "Love Cant Turn Around" are vinyl rips and not good ones at that. If in doubt listen to track two Disc 1 on the preview tracks and this confirms that the Chaka Khan track sounds distinctly "gritty" and distorted and isn't a bad disc. (Go seek out a Ben Liebrand Grand 12 inches disc if you want this one in pristine quality.)

It just smacks of laziness when compilations are put out with Vinyl rips when a clean digital version exist - certainly this is true for the Chaka Khan and Darryl Pandy tracks. So on the whole if Vinyl Rips annoy the hell out of you but you don't care about the tracks mentioned above then please go ahead and buy. If you are buying this CD because of the inclusion of the tracks above - be prepared to be disappointed. Personally I only bought the CD for the last track - S'Express Spatial Expansion Mix which I'm glad to say is a good transfer, so for that I gave it three stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Sep 2013 15:11:29 BDT
Mr. Aj Flynn says:
Thanks for pointing the vinyl rips thing out. It's not a show stopper for me, however. Perhaps it was a budget constriction? They do have to make some money out of these comps after all. Who knows?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Sep 2013 15:53:58 BDT
I'm all for artists and labels making money, but if I'm paying 'full whack' for a genuine CD I expect CD quality. Lets face it, if I wanted to hear a crackly rendition of one of these tracks I could go and dig out one of my original 12" Singles! But as you've said its down to individuals to make a decision as to whether they buy or not, just as long as they are fully informed about what they are purchasing. Personally I think any Label who puts a vinyl rip on CD should show a bloody great sticker on the front saying " track 2 mastered on next doors gramophone" or some such statement -at least you'd know what your getting. As you can tell, I get a bit miffed with music companies taking liberties with my ears!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2013 19:59:33 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 16 Sep 2013 20:00:35 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2013 20:00:49 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 16 Sep 2013 20:01:15 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2013 20:01:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Sep 2013 20:19:46 BDT
Mr. Aj Flynn says:
I agree with you - the Farley "Jackmaster" Funk rip is particularly poor. I have contacted Universal about this as it's really not on and look forward to their response. They could have cleaned the rips up better than they appeared to too!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2013 20:03:34 BDT
Mr. Aj Flynn says:
Just wanted to point out that the posts were deleted because of gramatical error. Didn't realise they left a trail behind!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2013 20:11:05 BDT
Good Luck with the correspondence. I hope you have a positive outcome. We all deserve better.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2013 20:17:29 BDT
Mr. Aj Flynn says:
I've already had an acknowledgement saying someone is looking into this and they'll be back in touch.

Posted on 1 Oct 2013 18:48:42 BDT
nodz says:
for 12.99 i expect an artist to perform in my front room

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2014 23:08:56 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Nov 2014 23:11:30 GMT
Mr. D says:
Oh that old chestnut... "we're looking into the sound quality issue and will get back in touch". That's the last you will hear of it.

I'm glad people complained about the vinyl rips. I waited to see what the reviews were because quite often these 12"/80s CDs have vinyl rips and wrong versions from what is stated on the sleeve. I simply won't buy CDs with vinyl rips on. It's unforgiveable to have vinyl rips for tracks that have been on CD before with perfect sound quality (Chaka Khan/Rochelle/Joyce Sims). Good on the people who spoke out. It saved me from buying a flawed collection and then having to return it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›