Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Exclusive playlist - Elton John Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbled text, 29 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Parade's End: The Complete Tetralogy (Kindle Edition)
This Kindle edition may be cheap, but it's hopelessly garbled. After the first few paragraphs the text starts to get out of order (as you can see by comparing with other Kindle editions, e.g. Everyman or Swift).

For example we have:
"Nevertheless Macmaster moved in drawing rooms that, with long curtains, blue china plates, large-patterned wallpapers and large, quiet mirrors, sheltered the long-haired of the Arts. And, as near as that that was his due, and he would accept the tribute in silence."

and, later on:
"Sometimes Sir Reginald would say: "You're a perfect encyclopaedia of exact material knowledge, Tietjens," and Tietjens thought a son of the manse."

with chunks of text misplaced in between.

One hopes the printed version is better. At least with the Kindle edition, you've only lost £0.77, but you'd do better to buy one of the others from the start.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Aug 2012, 11:43:04 BST
LS Hamilton says:
The other thing I found with this is that the text is really tiny. Of course you can enlarge it, but not to the right size; it is either too small or too big for me. Have you found this?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2012, 12:13:32 BST
Last edited by the author on 29 Aug 2012, 12:16:54 BST
EalingMan says:
I've given up on this edition and bought "The Works of Ford Madox Ford", published by Delphi Classics, instead. At £1.33 this seems an absolute bargain: it includes The Fifth Queen trilogy, The Good Soldier and three other novels as well as Parade's End; the text is clean and clear, and the right size for me, though this is obviously subjective. And there's no discernible garbling of the text, so far at any rate.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2012, 12:32:33 BST
LS Hamilton says:
Thanks very much! I'll do the same.

Posted on 2 Sep 2012, 17:58:35 BST
What are you talking about. I have just compared the paperback "look inside" to the kindle "look inside" and they are both the same. If you buy a book whether a kindle version or paperback they have to be delivered as written. Good luck if you can find the paper back that isn't the same. I have just read the intro of the first chapter and I find nothing wrong. The text is ok and is not garbled. Maybe you need to read more slowly to make sense of it.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2012, 21:26:54 BST
EalingMan says:
Have you checked the excerpts I cite, which clearly make little or no sense? If they're no longer there (in this Kindle edition from VRE Publishing), then it would have been more sensible, and certainly more polite, just to say so. If they're still present, then I suggest you compare the text with other editions. All those I've checked (including the two I cite) are quite different.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2012, 10:32:05 BST
Last edited by the author on 7 Sep 2012, 10:33:19 BST
K. NOBLE says:
Normally I would buy Penguin by default, but have changed the habit of a lifetime because of this.

I bought the Penguin edition for a fiver, after it had been (I now realise suspiciously) knocked down from 14 quid, but it is a shocker. I'm hoping Amazon will give me my money back.

In the meantime I have bought the excellent Delphi version, so thanks Tony!

ps I note the Penguin edition is now offsale because of content problems.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2012, 07:38:22 BST
ElaineG says:
Thanks for confirming the Penguin edition has been taken off sale. I bought that one and found it so awful to read that I gave up on the whole book (after two days of hard slog), and to be honest it put me off trying another download of it.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2012, 15:25:13 BST
K. NOBLE says:
My pleasure, and Amazon did give me an instant refund, which was a nice surprise!

It is a dry novel though, perhaps not a page-turner, with lots of detail about proper society and army life, but I'm still enjoying it and well into the second of the four books.

Posted on 2 Jun 2014, 18:03:12 BST
Dave Essel says:
I have across this problem with cheap and/or free Kindle editions of the classics. So I've just bought the BBC Publications expensive kindle edition of Parades End, having first downloaded a free sample of it, which did not show up any problems.
It's strange how deeply irritating, to the point of it's being impossible to read, bad layout and endless typos can be.
At least in this case there were several kindle editions to choose from!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›