on October 30, 2012
As an adult with absolutely no prior knowledge of the Welsh language, I bought this book second-hand, to help me learn some basic Welsh vocabulary and have found it really helpful. Obviously designed for Welsh-speaking children, it's still very helpful for learners such as myself to compliment learning from other sources (especially a source where I can hear how words are pronounced). The pictures are fun and well-drawn and include the little duck on each page, and I can imagine young Welsh-speaking children having fun reading this with an adult.
From an adult learners perspective, the words and pictures surrounding the relevant main picture give the word for what is actually shown, whether it be the single or plural of the noun, but there's a good alphabetical vocabulary list at the back that shows both the singular and plural forms, together with whether it is a masculine or feminine noun - something that I'm not yet ready to get to grips with yet but it's nice to know I can find the information easily when needed - and the English translation. For example on the "shop" page, the vocabulary gives the word for a single carrot (moronen), but if I go shopping I would want to be able to ask for "carrots" (moron).
My only criticism is that I haven't found anywhere that specifies whether all of the vocabulary is specific to Northern Welsh, Southern Welsh, or is common to both.
I am a bit puzzled that my copy is ISBN 1-85596-275-6 with the same cover as the photo, yet I bought it before Feb 2012 which appears to be the publication date, so maybe it's just been re-printed?
What's this?