Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 13 July 2010
I first saw Pitch Black some years ago in a small local theatre with some friends (it was almost a cult film from the outset). After the viewing I was criticised for my choice of film. I stayed the course, however, and eventually bought PB on DVD. Visually, it's such a haunting film that when Amazon was doing "twofers" I bought the film on BD. I wasn't expecting to see much difference based on my previous experiences with older films remastered on BD. I am very pleased to say that I was wrong. This film is excellent on BD: the exterior scenes are intentionally over-exposed to give a very bright effect, which is often colour-washed, and this comes over beautifully on blu-ray. The interior scenes are also superbly detailed with effective use of back-light etc.

So much for the visuals. Although the content is a bit formulaic it's a better-than-average SF movie, the monsters are also a bit derivative and Vin is Vin. The other actors are largely unknown (to me, anyway). There's some Australian accents, presumably from passing opal miners (the film was shot in Coober Pedy).

But it's the photography that really does it for me.
What's this?

What are product links?

In the text of your review, you can link directly to any product offered on To insert a product link, follow these steps:
1. Find the product you want to reference on
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select
7. When your review is displayed on, this text will be transformed into a hyperlink, like this:Hamlet (The Pelican Shakespeare)