on 19 June 2010
I purchased this book sometime ago after several visits to France and wanting to recreate their delicious food back home. I chose this book after another member of our family started producing heavenly food each time we went to visit - I soon discovered their secret - they were using this cookery book.

I think I have made nearly every recipe in the book and each one is totally delicious. What I really like about it is that the recipes are simple both to make and in the ingredients called for yet you get the best meals ever at the end of it. You can come home after a day at work and in no time knock up something that people think you've spent hours on. This book has become my kitchen bible and now permanently resides next to my cooker which is more than has ever been said for the other 100s of cookbooks that reside somewhere in one of my cupboards.
The only down side to it is that there are not pictures for all the recipes but pictures of French architecture which, while pretty, don't necessarily help.

If you get this book do try all the recipes even if you initially overlook them because of their titles. For example the other night I made the 'Pigeons with peas' a recipe I had always overlooked because it didn't sound too exciting. I made it with chicken (although a gamier bird would have been better)and it was totally delicious - needless to say there is a bit more than just peas added to the bird but again a simple recipe but totally yummy.

Joanne Harris also provides some wonderful notes in each section based on her first-hand knowledge of French food and buying ingedients.

Overall definately a book worth having and a great gift for someone who loves French cooking.
0Comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?