on November 30, 2006
I found this a fascinating read and learned a lot about an age I am not familiar with at all. But for me the author went into great depth on things I wasn't particluarly interested in and skipped the points I was. It is mainly based around the life and times of Darius, and seems to rush the preface and Xerxes, what happened to him? It just kind of peetered out at the end.

I know I'm putting a real bad look on this, it is a very good book, but just missed the classic five star rating. If you've read his other book Rubicon you will like this, as this is an improvement on that.
What's this?