VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 March 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I go on holiday in SW Missouri close to the Arkansas border and on the edge of the Mark Twain National forest; Ozark Mountain land, where I often go walking. I was interested to see what characters would inhabit this novel as I have a lot of friends in that region some of whom are employed in law enforcement on both sides of the Mizzou/Hogs state line.

I was really quite disappointed. The narrative style of telling the story in 1st person hill-billy psycho-cop is one dimensional and at times irritating. Nothing about this story strikes me as authentic after that from the psychotic cop to the body count that just climbs and climbs and climbs. Does nobody take any notice? And, a small town Sheriff with a Swiss bank account, that's really believable?!

Had this been written as a story then it may have had some merits as an action story. Telling the story in this meandering autobiographical redneck style just lost it for me quite early on. It does have some redeeming features; the relationship that Jerry has with Maggie is well done within the limitations of the prose.

Some people will like it, and will like the style it's written in and no doubt think I'm being over critical and the negative votes will stack up. I doubt if I'll be buying the next instalment, or Mr Wheeler's next book based on this outing, but that's just me.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink