VINE VOICEon 6 February 2004
Finally, I got my hands on the fifth volume of Demon Diary, and I read it cover to cover right away as I have done with all the previous volumes. By now, I've started to take it for granted that each new volume will be gorgeous, hilarious, sweet, intriguing and exciting, and for once that isn't a bad thing: because DD never fails.
In this volume, Raenef's personality change is explored and, while it may have seemed like just a plot device to make Eclipse realise how much he likes Raenef the way he was before, it turns out to be much more than that: for a storyline so full of humour, this manga doesn't pull any punches with its fundamental plot.
I won't say anymore on that, or it'll spoil it for you.
However, like volume four, this book does get a little tough in places. I say a little because it's just that: it never gets slow-going or bewildering, it just means your brain has to be a little more alive than was required for the fluffier earlier volumes ^_^ There's more going on, and more threads of story being followed, so the narrative jumps around a few times.
And it's no bad thing. All I can say is, I can't wait for the next volume, even though I'm sad that there are only two books to go. At least we can be glad this won't become a stupidly drawn-out series: Demon Diary is too good to ruin that way.
Here's to the next instalment!
What's this?