5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so very good, 10 Dec. 2012
This review is from: PowerBee ® Endurance Deluxe Solar Fairy Lights 120 WHITE Quality Superbright LED's Multi Function Indoor / Outdoor Garden, Party, Tree Lights for ALL YEAR round use including winter (White, 1 strand of 11.9 meters) (Kitchen & Home)
Since a garage conversion in the house, it's been very difficult to run an electric cable from the house to the tree outside, which I used to light up at Christmas. So when I saw these lights and noticed that they were suitable for outdoor use, I thought these could be the answer. I've always been slightly sceptical about solar products, but the positive reviews on Amazon, persuaded me to give it a go.

As the instructions suggest, I started by giving the batteries an 8 hour charge. This simply means switching the unit on and putting it somewhere bright where it can soak up the natural daylight. Saturday was a clear day, so I placed it on top of the conservatory roof, where I knew it would get maximum light all day.

On the Sunday afternoon, I put the lights onto the tree, securing the solar panel to a high branch with garden flexi-tie (you could just as easily use cable ties), making sure it was pointing upwards and roughly at the point where the sun would be at midday. The product comes with a plastic tube that fits onto the panel for pushing into the soil, so I attached this and wound the tie around the tube, making sure that there a was a clear path between the panel and the open sky. It all worked perfectly.

I switched the unit on at 5.00pm and put it on the auto setting, where it runs through a cycle of flashes, waves and twinkles. Being LEDs, the lights are a very nice bright white and I was amazed at the strength of the output - I usually associate solar lighting with garden lights that always seem to look weak and barely visible. Maybe it's just a case of the technology moving on.

So, switched on at 5.00pm, how long would they stay lit? I reckoned in 2 or 3 hours, they'd either have stopped working altogether, or be emitting as much energy as a glow worm. I went to bed at 11.30pm and they were still as bright as they had been at 5.00pm and still running through the auto cycle of effects. Imagine my surprise, when I woke just before 5.00am and out of curiosity got up to take a look out of the front window. Still flashing away and still at the same brightness. 12 hours of continuous use!

Now it's mid-morning on Monday and I have a smug look on my face as I look out at clear blue skies and lovely wintery sun and think of my little solar panel sitting in my tree at home, soaking it all up. When I return home tonight, it will be dark and the lights will automatically have started their show.

The beauty of this product is that it's straight 'out of the box' - apart from the initial charge, there is nothing to do other than place the lights wherever you want them. There's a plastic spike if you want to site the panel into the grass or soil and a wall bracket (complete with plugs and screws) for attaching to a vertical surface.

Early days for me, obviously, so I can't comment on the longevity of this product, but I have to say that so far, it has exceeded my expectations. If it continues to perform as it did last night, then I have an exceptional little product that has changed my opinions on solar-powered lighting. Highly recommended.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]