on 5 January 2014
It's January 2014 and STILL there are problems with the game. I know you've heard them all before, but here they are again for your delectation.
1 Game hangs on the startup screen and returns me to the dashboard.
2 Trying to get into multiplayer games from the quick start option usually results in a return to the game selection screen followed by a popup saying I've lost connection to the EA server.
3 If I actually manage to get into a game, it's pot luck whether I get into the game type I selected (e.g. selecting squad deathmatch puts me into a team deathmatch game)...
4 ...and once that game ends it often hangs instead of putting me into the next game
5 The torture doesn't stop when I try to play the offline campaign game, since I've had my game progress deleted on THREE occasions! Good job it was Christmas and I was able to devote a few hours to blitzing the campaign game in one session!

On the positive side, if you actually manage to get a game, it's a blast. The graphics are a great improvement over the XB360 version. I know it runs at 720p, but the graphics are beautifully detailed with lovely lighting, shadows and animation. The framerate approaches 60fps (according to DigitalFoundry and other commentators) and feels silky smooth. I have not noticed any game-breaking graphical problems.

Bottom line, Battlefield 4 would be worth 5 stars if the damn thing actually worked properly, but in its current broken state there's an even mix of fun and time-wasting frustration. I suggest checking the internet to find out when the game gets fixed, and then buy it. Until then, keep your money in your pocket.

UPDATE Jan 10 2014: getting into multiplayer seems to be improved by setting the console to power saving startup mode. This also makes the dashboard run smoother. Maybe there is a clash between the game and the console OS? Maybe the game does not shut down cleanly, or maybe the OS itself leaves data behind when it goes into standby that corrupts the game? Come on EA AND MS - get it sorted!

UPDATE Feb 9 2014: the game still occasionally hangs, usually as soon as you try to start it from the dashboard. This is cured by ejecting and reinserting the disk. Using the "quit" option from the menu button does not cut it. I've had no server connection issues since using the power save startup option. The game is still a while lot of fun to play. In fact, I even decided to get the premium dlc pack. Overall, recommended, if you can overlook the sometimes glitchy experience.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink