5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, loved it, loved it!, 22 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Midwife's Here! (Paperback)
As a midwife of of over 30 years myself, this book has been on my wish list for sometime, but it was only when I read the synopsis of Linda's forthcoming novel, "Bundles of Joy" that I realise I had followed Linda down the same path some 9 years afterwards.
I was a student nurse at MRI and moved to Ashton u Lyne to train as a midwife working there for a full five years until 1984 when I moved to the south of England.
The detail and descriptions were spot on, I could visualise the wards at MRi, I remembered Miss Bell and the joy of receiving my MRI "penny".
I was born and brought up in Stalybridge and Linda talked of people and places I remember so well, Grey st where I was born at home and lived until I was 5, Lawtons bakery and their wonderful Parkin, Queenies in Ashton Market where I had a Saturday job until I left to become a nurse and many more wonderful places of my youth.
I too was interviewed by Miss Sefton and Kate Ingham who was by that time a midwifery tutor at Ashton .........what an inspiring lady she was, and who can forget Sister Kelly the description was spot on!

It is difficult for me to critique this book as it was so personal to my own experience but it is historically and factually accurate and for any woman in their 50's and 60's, nurse, midwife or mother it will surely evoke some memories. The fashions of the day, mini skirts, maxi skirts, kinky boots!
Park Drive, Capstan and Number 6 cigarettes, Rediffusion Television, Kodak instamatic cameras and of course the music! Georgey Girl, Jumpin Jack Flash, the Hollies and The Beatles.
Thank you Linda Fairley for sharing your memoirs, I read this book in 24 hours and it is the book I wished I had written myself.
I can't wait to read "Bundles of Joy" and already have it per- ordered for download to my Kindle as soon as it is released.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]