on 4 January 2011
After purchasing this book to see what all the fuss was about - and maybe pick up a few tips on what makes a successful modern poetry collection, I was intitally very sceptical -'what's that all about' was my refrain- 'I don't get it', which is my reaction to much lauded modern poetry.

However, these poems do repay repeated reading,and I do find profundity and intense feeling - am moved.

'Form' is pretty meaniningless to me - though these poems often rhyme and are tightly constructed in verses - but there is a certain pared down simplicity, though they often deal with complex subject matter, which is appealing, and adds to the effects of poems that are concerned with fundamental themes - childhood innocence, the natural world, death.

Thus, although I can kind of agree with both the very positive, and very negative, reviews above - I can see the value in this collection, and the poems become more resonant with each reading.

So, a good example of contemporary British poetry - one where the poet has found his voice, and expresses something very personal - in an evocative, often moving way, that has proved very successful.

Is this great success deserved? Well what do I know - these matters are highly subjective in my opinion - but perhaps I might agree more so that it is after living with the poems for a bit longer.
What's this?