3.0 out of 5 stars decent but not great, 16 April 2013
This review is from: COLT® - In Car Holder Mount Grip with 360 Degree 'SuperGrip' Windscreen Suction - Ideal for ALL Phones with & without case - Apple iPhone 5 / 4 / 4S / 3G / 3GS / 3 (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought this mount for my Xperia Play, having tried a number of other similar products which didn't fit the bill either by being just shoddy and broke or by covering up the necessary charging ports etc.

I was optimistic about this mount as it has a simple design and can obviously hold pretty much any phone without covering up the charging ports as you can choose where to position the clamps along the sides of the phone. In this regard, the mount is great as it holds the phone securely and I was able to charge the phone in the car.

Also, the suction on the mount is very good indeed, it has a lever which you push down to lock the seal in place.. I use an adhesive disk that sticks to the dashboard and when I attached the mount to this it was clearly not going to budge an inch. I am confident you could leave the mount in place for years and it wouldn't move!

The only area where this mount falls down is the stiffness of the ball joint which allows the clamp section to rotate. Unfortunately, the joint is not stiff enough to hold the phone in place while you are driving. I own a 2012 Ford Focus and this car has the best ride quality of its class. Even in the focus, when driving on an A road the position of the phone began to sag downwards due to the small bumps along the road. If I drove on a country road where the smoothness of the road is much worse, the phone didn't sag but drastically looped downwards and to one side, meaning that the phone was at a weird angle. Now, the Xperia Play is not a light phone so the weight of the device obviously didn't help here but I believe the same problem would be encountered with the much lighter S3 or similar phone.

I am a little OCDish when it comes to having the phone stay put and stay straight in the car so this little problem quickly annoyed me. Not to mention I was constantly reaching up to put the phone back in its proper place while driving which can't be good for safety!

So, overall, this mount definitely has some good points but unless you have a very light phone, the ball joint is simply not stiff enough to make the phone stay put while rumbling along. My advice would be to buy a similar product with a clamp style fixture but one that has a very small "stalk" between the suction cup and the actual holder so as to minimise wobble.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 May 2013, 10:43:17 BST
Roberto Nike says:
Not even close to reality. And I have a Ford Fiesta MK7. The phone stay where I turned the key 600 miles ago and in the middle I drove really bad roads. Check your suspension or your holder was a lemon.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2013, 23:53:53 BST
Who are you to tell me my experience with this product is wrong? Ok, it was better for you, congratulations but learn how to say that without being a prick,

Posted on 9 May 2013, 15:58:20 BST
James Kirby says:
Would you say this is a good holder to use your phone as a dashcam? Do you think the holder would be in the footage?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013, 08:40:21 BST
Hi James, I would think it would be ok, the sides of the clamp don't curve in so they shouldn't obstruct the view at all.

Best of luck with it!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2013, 18:34:07 BST
Longshot says:
Nice review thanks, and love your retort 2nd post down.

Just wondered if it's possible unscrew the socket part (of the ball and socket) if so I could perhaps pack it with something to make it stiffer (as it appears to unscrew in the photo)...???

The reason I ask is I have a heavily modified Wrangler Jeep which I'm taking on a expedition in August and need a firm grip on my iphone 5 (which is made even heavier and bulky by an armored Otterbox) and the car may be bouncing around and at awkward angles on a fairly regular basis. None of the other holders I think have a good enough hold from previous experience as you usually push two sides grips together on a crappy plastic ratchet system

Worse case I could always glue the ball in place when I have it set to how I want it I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2013, 13:54:47 BST
Hi Longshot, thanks for your kind words!

To answer your question, I'm not sure but you might be able to. I have just recently had to buy another mount which I think is absolutely fantastic and would definitely meet your needs. I've linked it below:

WinnerGear Genuine Montar Universal Car Smartphone Holder Mount iPhone 6 6S 7 7S Plus Samsung Galaxy S5 S6 S7 S8 J5 J7 Edge LG G6

I've written a review on that as well if you want to have a look. Enjoy your expedition!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2013, 21:57:50 BST
Longshot says:
Thanks for getting back with a reply, much appreciated.

The unit you suggest looks good and I think I will order one of them, however my only reservation is that it appears to have the same ball and socket set up as the Colt reviewed above.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2013, 08:46:15 BST
Last edited by the author on 20 Jun 2013, 08:47:05 BST
Hi Longshot,

It is indeed the same ball and socket but the one I linked enables you to tighten the joint once it's in place so it won't move.

I've been using this for a couple of weeks now and it hasn't budged an inch since I first tightened it.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2013, 09:14:49 BST
Excellent.

Thanks again, it's been most helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2013, 09:50:12 BST
no worries, glad to help
‹ Previous 1 Next ›