on 21 August 2006
I only wish I had read this at school, then it would not have waited until I was 25 to read it. I was under the impression that, having seen the cartoon, I already knew the plot, and as a result I neglected to read it for so long.
Now, its my 3rd favourite book of all time (behind 'Lord Of The Rings' and 'And Then There Were None'). It is a classic in every sense of the word, the language is accessible and easy to read, the settings charming, the characters utterly endearing, the hostile faction utterly ruthless. The whole plot is compelling from start to finish, and so absorbing you could finish it in one sitting, which is such a rarity nowadays.
As usual with Adams, there is an undertone of the cruelty of man, especially concerning the 'white blindness', (myxamatosis(did I spell that right?)), but this adds to the atmosphere and does not detract at all. So high a standard does he set, that his succeeding books do not come close to this superb novel. If you haven't read it, do so.

I don't realy know why Amazon are using the cover of 'Tales From Watership Down', which is a completely different book. This could cause some confusion, so sort it out!!
0Comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?