on 16 September 2015
I had relatively high hopes for this laptop. Asus make some fine products, so I imagined that their laptops would bear no exception.

I was wrong. I must admit, I'm somewhat disappointed in this.

The build quality is less to be desired. Granted it's not a cheap laptop, but for £550, I expected something a little sturdier. The chassis is made of seemingly cheap plastic. The keyboard flexes in the middle, and rattles when typing. Sometimes key presses don't register (usually the space bar) if you don't press the key in the right area (I know, there aren't many ways to actually press a button, but if you purchase this machine, you'll soon see what I mean). The back of the screen has a nice effect on it, lovely to look at, however the screen itself also feels cheap. It has a considerable amount of "bend" to it, and just feels overly flimsy. The LCD itself is matte. The picture is relatively clear, however comparing it to a desktop screen, and my previous laptop, the image is very washed out and the viewing angle is somewhat limited.

Also, do not buy this product if you want to replace the hard disk with an SSD. If you want to buy this, and are able to, buy one with an SSD already in it. They do NOT want you to get at the HDD. There is no hatch underneath for you to easily swap the drive out. You have to dismantle the entire unit, and it sits at the front of the machine on the right by the number pad. It sits between 2 PCB's with a flat flex ribbon cable glued to the top of the hard drive. Why Asus thought this would be a grand idea is anybody's guess.

Performance wise, it's OK. I guess. Sporting an i7 5500U at 2.4Ghz, CPU performance isn't all that much of an issue. If you want to upgrade to 16Gb RAM, you'll need to wait until the 16Gb SO-DIMMs are readily available, as this only has one memory slot. Another design flaw.

The touchpad is nice. It's not spongey. The clicks are firm and its smooth texture won't make your fingers feel all weird after using it all day long.

All in all, would I recommend this laptop? No. Will I keep this laptop? Probably not. There are too many things about it that irk me, and its overall cheap feeling build quality leave me wondering whether this will last the 3+ years I expect out of all my computing hardware.
8 people found this helpful