4.0 out of 5 stars Multi-player Awesome... rest kind of irrelevant., 18 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
I'm hearing a lot of buzz both unnecessarily negative and unnecessarily positive. With absolutely no agenda or brand loyalty I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.

Firstly, loved MW1 and MW2 - really, really wanted to love Black Ops - bought and played the hell out of it, multi-player was good at times, but the graphical downgrade from MW2 (I know they're made by 2 different companies - but still) just bugged me and the bits I thought would be innovative (Gun Game etc) or just plain fun (Remote Car bombs!!) Felt gimmicky very quickly. Single player was an unbearably dull shooting gallery (for me anyway).

So, with this in mind I was kind of reluctant to pick up MW3. However, after clearing Batman Arkham City, needed new entertainment so thought I'd give it a shot (no pun).
I, for one, am unbelievably glad I did! Its always about multi-player as far as I'm concerned. That's what I'm paying for, anything else that works well (i.e. Spec Ops) is just gravy.
I LOVE the new progression system - levelling up your character, your weapons etc. Basically means I feel I'm being constantly rewarded for my efforts in small ways! I'm a veteran player - just not a particularly skilled one! My kill / death ratio always hangs around the break even mark, but I'm having an immense amount of fun anyway! I do confess to playing with all other players pretty much muted, so if you're giving me grief or praise when I'm playing - I hear none of it!

Along with the new progression system I'm really enjoying some of the new modes - especially 'Kill Confirmed' which brings a different tactical element to the mayhem (that and I seem to be pretty good at it), the basic premise here being that when you shoot someone, they die and drop their dog tags which must be retrieved in order to 'confirm' the kill. Similarly, if one of your team mates collects the tags - the kill is also confirmed. On the other hand, should an opponent collect those tags of his fallen comrade then the kill is 'denied'. The good thing about this mode is that, though you still pick up EXP for the kills - your team only scores points for collected tags (which brings extra EXP for the one collecting AND the one who made the kill). This promotes team work in a way that a standard team deathmatch tends not to.

As for the moans, I have none. For two reasons: Firstly, I have little to no interest in the single player, I'll probably try it, but will be pleasantly surprised if it holds my interest (that said MW1 and MW2 actually DID hold my interest - Black Ops not so much); Secondly, the graphics are basically MW2 (i.e. very bloody good) quality, but smoother and more consistently held at a high frame rate. I really don't understand the problem that others have with the graphics on this game. They look pretty sweet to me! Maybe I need a new TV? Maybe they need a new TV? Who knows?

Anyway, I heartily recommend ignoring all of the reviews and making your own mind up. If you like this sort of game, chances are you're going to love this one!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Nov 2011 19:22:23 GMT
WillF says:

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2011 21:46:54 GMT
R. Keech says:
I see you (PC) point. But this reviews is a PS3-tastic zone and thus my comments relate to the PS3 releases of all of the mentioned Call of Duty games. I'm sure there's an argument for Black Ops being the superior title graphically on PS3 too, it just never looked as crisp to me. I was in denial for a while - but eventually went back to MW2 and confirmed my fears.

On PC, I'm sure Black Ops looks the part too - if you've got a half decent PC anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2011 20:13:43 GMT
bob says:

Posted on 7 Dec 2011 13:35:04 GMT
E. M. W says:
I pretty much agree with everything you have said, espcially regards the graphics which I don't have a problem with, in fact I personally think the graphics are equal to MW2, and better than Black Ops. I personally didn't rate Black Ops, for me it is the wost game in the series - Graphics were poor, sound was bad (the footsteps were annoyingly bad) and the maps weren't very good compared to MW & MW2.

I'm pleased I bought this game, I'm now maxed out at Level 80 and considering weather or not to prestige (I don't want to lose my gold Type 95 & Gold ACR!)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›