on 14 December 2011
This one's my favourite one yet of the series. I have never read about the Battle of Britain before, not from a RAF and aircrew perspective anyway. I am ashamed to say that I have never even considered pilots who fight in battles before this, because the focus is usually always on those fighting on land.

Chris Priestley's style of writing is great. It was very amusing, very entertaining, very evocative and poignant, and most importantly...very real. He knew how to get us attached to Harry, to his family, to his friends, to Lenny especially - and he was able to successfully accomplish this in very limited space. Add to this the historical context, and the knowledge that is gained by reading this.

I found the Moby-Dick part hilarious, and the German soldier part at the end extremely depressing. And the concept of war being honourable reminded me of one of my favourite poems "Dulce et Decorum est" by Wilfred Owen during World War I. In this poem, Owen refers to the old age lie, "Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori" - meaning, it is a sweet and fitting thing to die for one's country.

On a separate note, reading the historical section at the back of the book, they included the nationalities of aircrew involved in the Battle of Britain, and how many of them were killed throughout. I was very surprised, and proud, to note that there was one Palestinian pilot, who took part in this battle. As I am a Palestinian myself, I found that to be of extreme interest.
6 people found this helpful