on September 7, 2009
Anyone who enjoys I Used to Know That: Stuff You Forgot from School should get themselves a copy of So That's Why They Call it Great Britain: How One Tiny Country Gave So Much to the World as I think it is more fun and informative read.

While I enjoyed brushing up on Geography and the Periodic Table of Elements in I Used To Know That, I must admit that I skim read the Maths section and did not learn anything in the Literature chunk of the book. It might be a useful book to turn to to help children with their homework though.

It was a different story with So That's Why They Call It Great Britain. It's an easy to read A-Z of wonderful British inventions, discoveries and heroes. I found myself dipping into it whenever could and almost always found out something new.
Did you know, for instance, that the chocolate bar, the I-Pod and Champagne are British inventions or that the first woman doctor in Britain and America was from Bristol or that the world's first set of traffic lights were installed in London before there were even any cars on the road? Me neither but I'm pleased I know it now!
0Comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?