on 2 April 2010
I really can't recommend this book highly enough. I started carrying it round with me and taking it in the car so I could keep reading it. (When parked I hasten to add.) It is that good.

It is a collection of essays on aspects of short story writing from writers (and creative writing tutors) who have won major short story writing awards. The advice and guidance is practical and always gives something to think about. Every essay would be of use and interest to a short story writer regardless of whether they are just starting out, studying or they have years of experience. It is hard to pick a favourite but I will admit I really enjoyed "Thoughts About Writing Fiction, At the End of Term" (which gave me enough to think about for about six years)but also the essays on Endings, Originality, Myth and Magic, Flash Fiction,Micro Fiction - well there isn't one in the whole book that I didn't enjoy. I would normally expect to find something that didn't reach the same heights - but I didn't.

Every essay is also followed by comprehensive lists of works that are referenced, lists of favourite short stories of the author of that essay, and exercises for further thought. All wonderful.
0Comment| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?