on 29 February 2008
Which is the autobiography of a man whose first wife divorced him, and whose second wife died, leaving him to cope, not entirely alone, but with sole authority over two boys. I go into this level of detail because, for women, it's *hard* to understand how men and boys work. Same as, for men, it's *hard* to understand how women work.

And yet, we do all work. The opinion 'all the people I know and trust work like me, so all people who want to be known and trusted should work like me' is one of the dumbest on the planet.

Having read this immediately after said autobiography, I found this enlightened and impressive, as a picture of how people from one culture can get sucked in, turned around, and spit out by a culture they're not prepared for.

And, yes, I know all the arguments for and against cultural relativism. It's hard to get along with people who see your most heartfelt & cherished beliefs as flimsy opinions. And it's even harder to get on with people who justify that by holding up *their* heartfelt & cherished beliefs, and calling *them* flimsy opinions.

I met a Dutch couple once who were shocked silly by me munching my baby's stomach, and calling her 'Sausage'. Genuinely, solidly shocked. And I was shocked by them being shocked...

Nowt as queer as folk.
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse| Permalink