Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Playlist - Acoustic Christmas Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

VINE VOICEon 5 April 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was surprised that I had never come across Keating and his Inspector Ghote before - this first novel was published in 1964. I read that Keating had died just last week when I had just started to read this novel!

I found it hard going at first - the broken English conversations were irritating but then I got used to them.

It is an old fashioned type of detective novel, Inspector Ghote is akin to Albert Campion or Roderick Alleyn and Ghote and Axel Svennson (the Swede from UNESCO)reminded me of Poirot and Hastings in some ways. This is a novel with "clues" but maybe the reader is not given enough of them to be able to try and solve the mystery. The people Ghote has to deal with are most odious. This is not a novel with gore, blood, swearing and evil monsters is a much more gentle read.

Ghote uses Gross's manual on crime - a real publication - Alexander McCall Smith's Mma Ramotswe also uses a manual - hers I think is a fictitious one. Alexander McCall Smith wrote the introduction to this novel and I think he took some inspiration from Keating in creating Precious Ramotswe.

This is not the Perfect Murder - rather - the case of what happens to Mr Perfect - this is revealed in the beginning of the book so I am not giving away too much here.

Did I like the book? Still a little undecided - 3 and a half stars but not 4.
Would I read more Keating? Yes to see how Inspector Ghote develops in the next novel and then decide from there.
What's this?