on 13 June 2014
You can find my review here:[...]
[...]
Was the Bible written in a vacuum for certain people in a specific time? What does the Bible say about life today? How do we look at the Bible and read what it says about history and life today to see how we are to live?

Jordan discusses the design of the world and how it reveals our Creator and how history is controlled by God so that events from the past shed light on the events of the future. The Bible is a book of theology. It is not a book on flat facts; information for information's sake. It is here to show us how to live.

Jordan has a conviction that Scripture uses types and symbols to express deeper meanings than can be found by exegesis of the text. Jordan is not chicken'-pickin' his symbols and texts, but views a textual symbol in light of other biblical pictures and meanings. The point is to show how the Bible is a unified, seamless whole.

(-) While I don't think Jordan cherry-picked his exegesis, simply putting together any Scripture he wanted, I do think many of his points are held very loosely by his exegesis. Often times I didn't know how He put A and B together. They don't seem to make C. They still look like A and B.

One example:

In Chapter 12: Eden, The World of Transformation, Jordan speaks of earlier models shedding light on later models. "The four rivers that flowed out of Eden are simply a curiosity, for instance, until we associate them with the four corners of the earth, and the four corners of the altar, and the four corners of the cross" [pg. 144].

I provide three more examples of this kind of exegesis on my blog. While I se that the cross has four corners, why is it associated with the four rivers of Eden? And what happens when we associate them with the four corners of the cross? Jordan doesn't even give us the answer.

I'm not against seeing symbolism and typology in the Bible, but I do think it should be substantiated by the word.

[Special thanks to Wipf and Stock for sending me this book for review! I was not obligated to provide a positive review in exchange for this book.]
What's this?