on 25 March 2010
If you've never returned a game before, this product will show you there's a first time for everything.

I want to talk about the actual game instead of the ridiculous DRM software I'm sure you've all heard about. However, there are many people who do not realise the following:

The DRM in this game does not prevent piracy, not in the slightest, it is important you understand this. Even though the game requires a constant Internet connection so as to send and receive game information during play, this can be emulated by an advanced programmer so that the game can run offline. What this means is that the game can be cracked by pirates (it already has been), allowing illegal downloaders to play the game offline.

Thus you have a pirated product which in some aspects is actually better than the original...

This is exactly what has happened. If DRM actually prevented piracy it would be well worth implementing, for some reason Electronic Arts don't seem to understand this isn't the case and so the only customers it punishes are those who share the discs with friends, hardly a target worth stopping. If anything it rewards pirates.

I repeat, DRM does not prevent piracy. It makes it "slightly" harder for a pirate to crack the game, but this only needs to be done once and so doesn't really achieve anything.

Now for the game itself...

Change is not always a bad thing, it can be very refreshing when old aspects get tedious. The problem? I have built bases hundreds of times, not once have I found it tedious. Resource gathering was always a major part in the tactical game play, I thought the game was about the spread of tiberium?

But no lets throw all of that out the window, it will save a lot of money. Is that enough? Nah, let's put in a unit cap so it doesn't trouble our servers too much.

Why end there? Let's film a scene with a white background and put in a portal looking like it was drawn in MS Paint.

We could think up a decent ending that ties everything together and ends the saga... OR, we could just make up some love story, forget a few plot lines from the previous games and end the whole thing without really revealing anything, no one's going to notice.

And so this is exactly what it feels like, a saga they couldn't be bothered to finish so they just came up with a quick "cash in" product to milk customers who are always going to pay to see how it ends.

If you're thinking about getting the game just to see how everything turns out I'd really advise you to just watch it on youtube. I feel incredibly sorry for anyone who played through the game just to see "that". It's pathetic, it was the one aspect to redeem the game and they completely screwed it.

If my boss came up to me and told me they're closing my project to move on to something else, all they want is a quick sellable product to end the series, I literally would make Tiberium Twilight. I would throw out base building and resource gathering to dramatically reduce development time and costs, selling it as some new tactical approach so it looks as if I did it to enhance the game. I wouldn't even bother ending the story properly, I'd just leave a lot unexplained. That's creative right? Leaving the player to fill in the loose ends themselves? At the end of the day the company is moving on, let's just spit this out and see if we can make any money for it.

EA have achieved this, hats off to them.
1616 Comments| 271 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.