on 28 May 2006
Because for alllll the years I was terrified of flying, it had been much cheaper for our hols!

I was THE WORST ever airplane passenger and while I knew it was an irrational fear because I wasn't afraid of it crashing, suddenly dropping out of the sky or claustrophobia...I was and still am scared witless of heights and just the thought of being high off the ground did for me! Crumbs, I can't even look down at the floor when standing on a stool! My first flight to Scotland when I was 19 had started off my flying phobia when I was foolish enough to look out of the window and the fluffy white clouds suddenly had a break to....nothingness! That was me done for good!

I'd got out of ever flying again for some 27 years until my husband insisted on dragging me onto three return flights in 2000. THEN he swore that we would never be travelling anywhere on the same plane ever again unless I got over this. I was a total embarrassment and no mistake with the shaking,clammy, colour drained face, hyperventilating, palapatations, dry mouth and general wreck, not to mention guzzling Rescue Remedy by the barrel load. All my attempts at books on how to get over the fear and various other potions and pills, (including Valium from my doc), all failed to calm me down into anything resembling a normal human being. I hadn't even been able to talk about flying without breaking out in a sweat and stammering.

So when our son announced his forthcoming nuptuals in....MAURITIUS...yikes! Something HAD to be done. I ordered this CD and began listening to it straight away. After only listening to both tracks 3 times, I could already talk about flying without the same nervous feeling, sweating or stammering, so....things looked good.

To test this out, I was booked onto a fairly short return trip to Amsterdam from London City Airport in May 2006 exactly one year before I would need to try the 12 hour flight to Mauritius. For the three weeks prior to travelling I religiously listened to each track on alternate days as instructed and felt VERY CALM about the whole thing.

The day arrived and we went up in what I can only describe as a sewing machine with wings, (Fokker 50 and very nice it was too!!!!), but I remained cool calm and totally collected for the entire trip from the moment we left home. As soon as I was boarded and safety belt on, I closed my eyes and began my relaxation technique which sort of puts me in a trance like state even though I'm still aware of everything going on around me but nothing worries me. Fantastic!

Once up and levelled out, I just open my eyes and have a good stretch and that's me until we're about to land when I do the same routine, which is probably more for comfort than necessity to be honest, but hey! It works so I'm not complaining.

Had a fair bit of turbulence for ten minutes on our way into Schipol Airport but I just closed my eyes and worked on my circular breathing with my eyes closed and it was fine. In fact when we landed I told my husband that I get bounced about more with his driving over speed humps!

I was very proud of my inaugeral post hypnowhatsname courtesy of this marvellous CD and my husband even more so. Couldn't stop telling everyone how amazing I'd been for the w-h-o-l-e flight.

Have since done flights to Sweden and Scotland, (that one was a bit quick too as it was for a family funeral so no normal 2-3 weeks available to listen to my CD, only four days but it still seemed to be enough, thankfully), all with no problems AND.....my 12 hour flight to Mauritius and back still absolutely fine.

I still find it advisable to wear my travel bands so as to avoid any motion sickness, just as a precaution and always make sure my clothes are not too tight and comfy fitting. And....I always make sure I listen to both tracks at least once before the flight back home....just incase.

Only trouble now......need more cash for MORE TRIPS! This CD and it's therapy has changed mine and my family's lives. Whoopeeeee!!!!!
0Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?