on 1 April 2005
When I first picked up this book I was concerned about it being set in the present and I couldnt see how it would encapusulate the rest of the story about 2 young lovers in the midst of a difficult romance in World War II. But my god Ms Elgin didn't let me down! What a surprise to have a book within a book!
I really wanted this story to have an truth behind it. In parts I thought I would never stop crying at the sheer tragedy of Susan and Jon's story which of course was doomed from the start. I just didn't want to ever finish this book as it took me into a era that we only hear stories about.
Real people lived,loved and lost in these terrible years and the historical accuracy that Ms Elgin uses to help us conjure up a picture, makes you feel like you were there.
I'm glad that the end wasn't tinged with such sadness and that Cassie and Josh were able to live out the romance. WOuldn't it be nice if todays society valued love in the same way?
It's a pity my great-grandparents are not still alive because I now have questions that I would like answers to.
So, Ms Elgin if you ever read these reviews, for the sake of a 23 year old who needs to know what it was like 'back then' keep these novels coming!
What's this?