on 14 February 2013
I will keep this review simple as I have yet to read the full text and do not wish to be misleading.

I brought this book as the core module text for my studies at University. I can certainly see why it was titled as so; It is incredibly detailed in comparison to many other books, however, this can also mean the paragraphs become long-winded. When you read a page long metaphor for Mass in tiny font - especially when it is about a sheep's 'sheepiness' - it becomes arduous to read when you know it could be explained without any of that and in four or so lines. It is not a book you can look to for quick references if there is something you are not wholly confident in, which, as a student, is rather disappointing for me.

On the other hand, if read cover to cover there is no doubt in my mind that this book would tell you a great deal about nearly anything you wished to know about the period. It is a text meant to be studied, opposed to any sort of light read, but that suits my task fine and I give it four stars. I simply wish it was not so drawn out in areas it really need not be.
What's this?