5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING - 48 hours on one fill!!, 26 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Zippo Re-Useable Hand Warmer (Sports)
I'm not kidding - this lasted a little over 48 hours on one fill (to the brim) of lighter fluid. I've tried both main types of fluid available in our area now, (Zippo's own black tin and Swan's yellow one), & I've not noticed the slightest difference - except the price of course!

When I first used the Zippo handwarmer, I couldn't get it to stay lit more than a few minutes, but the secret I've found is 3-fold:

1) Fill with the lighter fluid and leave it for a few minutes (with the catalyst burner-head in place) to allow the fumes to move around the product (so there are no air "gaps") which can cause it to go out;
2) Heat the burner-head properly on each of its flat surfaces with a lighter (not the top of the yellow flame or it will soot - use the top of the blue inner) when you're lighting it, even after it's obviously "lit" (about 15 seconds) - this helps to vapourise the gases and sustain the ignition (you should NOT apply lighter fluid to the burner-head itself - it will flame and damage the head);
3) Put the metal lid onto the lit burner and put it into its soft, draw-string case and into your pocket. Don't ask me how (I'm not a combustion expert) but this actually seems to encourage it to work. I DO know that it doesn't require additional oxygen to work - whatever is available in your pocket is clearly sufficient.

Obviously, if you don't want it to last for 2 days and 2 nights constantly, then don't fill it up to the brim. As mentioned by others, Zippo do supply a nifty little container clearly marked for showing what fill one needs for 6 or 12 hours of heat.

For instant heat I use the clicker-pads (and yes, you can recharge them very effectively with a microwave) but for long-term sustainability, the Zippo is surely hard to beat.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Jan 2012 21:00:40 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 24 Apr 2012 21:31:36 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2012 11:59:41 GMT
I bought one and had a bit of trouble the first time lighting it, but did what this review said and I can honestly say these work amazingly well. It did take a while to get up to temperture but after patience and giving it time it is great, I bought another to compare, both work brilliantly.
For those that say they do not work or are not hot enough, give it time, light the burner at the top, it does take longer than 5 seconds, I usually keep the flame on it for about 20 secs, use a lighter not a match. Then you will see a faint glow, if you don't wave the warmer gently and you will see a glow. Pop the lid on and you are good to go.
Both of mine have a run time of about 36/48hrs when full, I tested these over a few days and the heat was constant and very welcoming when out in the forests.
For those that say they do not run hot enough? It is a hand warmer, the clue is in the title! warmer, If I leave mine out of the bag it will get hot enough to make someone drop it who is not used to touching hot metal surfaces, or a little ones hands so be careful. If you feel yours cooling after a few hours, take it out the bag shake gently and it will heat back up for another few hours.
All in all these are great, better than all other hand warmers I have used in the past and would not have bought a second if I was not delighted with it...
I would give this 99.9%, If you have trouble lighting a new burner, just have patience it will reward you! There is also a great you tube video as well on lighting it if you have trouble, though this review was the best for advice..Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2012 14:06:26 GMT
You're welcome & thanks for the support!

Posted on 2 Feb 2012 23:53:48 GMT
Js Mehson says:
thanks for the review, I've been pondering this product for a while. It probably works best in the bag as it insulates the heat which causes the air in the bag to move quicker causing more circulation (although I'm probably wrong, and you probably don't care). once again thanks for the tips.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2012 23:59:49 GMT
I have been using this everyday for the last week or so, and have found it to be great! Just a word of warning do not use a turbo lighter to light it, I found it melted the catalyizer (WHOOPS) mind you it was about 1300C
Other than that once you get the knack of lighting it, they are brilliant, I just light them at about 7am slip them in the case and then drop them in my jacket pockets and they are still going at 9pm in the evening...
HOORAY no more cold hands!!!!
Top product, just remember what the reviews say, forget all that 3-5 secs nonsense, I leave the flame on them for about 15 secs, then give it a gentle shake to see the top glow then pop the top on and you are good to go!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2012 07:44:07 GMT
@J.S. Mehson Esq - You're welcome. I hear what you say & you may be correct! I thought it might have something to do with the fact that combustion requires 3 things to succeed (fuel, oxygen & heat) & that as this burner consumes so little oxygen, keeping it warm was beneficial to the longevity issue... but I could be wrong!

Posted on 3 Feb 2012 19:31:09 GMT
I saw the video and on purchase followed your tips.

One thing I'd add is that when first filling it up use the nozzle to slightly depress the inner filament in the fluid receptacle to avoid lighter fluid all over the place.

Then follow Northern Climes' excellent advice and trust that it'll heat up nicely!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Feb 2012 16:07:12 GMT
I bought one of these 2 years ago and have never managed to light it! Perhaps I should try again with this advice

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Feb 2012 16:11:38 GMT
Yes do so, I have two and use them most days, they are a pain in the ass to get lit the first time but use a gas ring or a petrol lighter and then once you see the element glowing give it a gentle shake and put the lid on...they are great once they get going. I can understand why people want to smash them but with a little patience they will reward you with warm hands and pockets...

Posted on 26 May 2012 17:38:05 BDT
Doppy Woman says:
I moved and lost container and instructions for filling warmer so can anyone help. Doppy woman
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›