on 30 July 2013
Firstly I'd like to thank the publishers for sending me this book to read and give an honest review. This is the first book I have read by Jessica Ruston and everything about the cover/blurb intrigued me, it raised so many questions that I couldn't wait to find answers to. Unfortunately the storyline didn't grip me quite as much as I thought it would and it seemed to take me a while to really become involved with it.

Klara was a nice character who I felt incredibly sorry for, when she received the anonymous package that led to her mothers belongings there was a real sense of nervousness about her. I got the feeling that she had bottled up a lot of her feelings about her mother so the discovery of her diary and fresh information brought it all to the surface. I couldn't quite understand why she kept the information to herself though, it didn't make sense to me.

The diary was an interesting part of the book, I really enjoyed reading from her mother's perspective and often found myself imagining how Klara must have felt when she read those kind of thoughts from her own mother - I know I would have found it difficult myself. Another part I enjoyed was the situation with Elfie, I thought she was a lovely character and I liked what her story brought to the book.

Klara's journey to uncover the truth about her mother was a difficult one to travel, when I got to the epilogue I was surprised to encounter a final revelation - the whole book had a mysterious feel to it with all the discoveries and revelations that it contained.

There were times when the writing felt a bit slow for my liking but don't let this put you off because this may not be an issue for everyone, I guess I just prefer a faster pace when I'm reading.

This was an interesting read, great for those of you who love a good mystery!
0Comment| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?