on 20 September 2009
It was this books very pretty cover that first drew me to it. An antique floral design with an image of an old fashioned mannequin in its centre - gorgeous.

Turning to the back cover, I found the story intrigued me too. Here the books heroine, Truly Plaice was described as part behemoth, part witch, part Cinderella, born larger than life into a small minded town where she spends a painful childhood in the shadow of her older sisters beauty and is teased for her enormous physique.

When Serena unexpectedly vanishes, Truly finds herself taking care of Serena's son in the house of her brother in law Doctor Robert Morgan, a former childhood tormentor, who now continues to subject her to criticism and medical experiments.

I really enjoyed this book - I thought it was quirky and original. Whilst it was the fairytale like quality of the book that appealed to me (I very much enjoyed reading about Tabitha's quilt and the discovery of what it held), the book was also very grounded in reality and issues that are very current today, touching on the tragedy of war, euthanasia and the perception of beauty. I was very moved by the story of Truly and Marcus, totally mis-matched in size and who Truly avoids for so long, believing she was not good enough for him and that he could not possibly love her, and the story of Bobbie and his boyfriend Salvatore was unexpected.

I have read some reviews which have criticised the novel for poor characterisation and I do agree that this could have been stronger at times but nonetheless I found this a very enjoyable read and a very good debut novel. I look forward to hearing more from Tiffany Baker in the future.
2 people found this helpful