Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 21 August 2006
I always get nervous when an author moves out of genre. More often than not it's a mistake. I thought long and and hard about buying the book because recently I've read several novels by authors who should have stuck to writing what they know about.

In the event I needn't have worried. It's a near future thriller and handled with all the style that Bears readers will already know and he makes the transition from SF to thriller with ease.

Characterisation is slim, but given the books breadth of scope and (comparative) lack of pages he does what he can. If it was a film, I could have imagined some of the actors asking 'what's my motivation' when they were reading the script. The story moves along briskly carried from several viewpoints and with no real holes in the plot. There's technology there, but it's not too far removed from what we know and therefore isn't the star of the show.

There'd have been 4 stars if the ending had been better. It's not that it's implausible or exactly disappointing, but perhaps from my perspective it's a bit abrupt and not the one I'd have written :-) as it seems out of place with the tone of the rest of the book.
15 people found this helpful