VINE VOICEon 30 September 2012
I have read many of James Patterson's book and enjoyed most of them. I was looking forward to reading this after having it recommended to me and also because I was intrigued by the concept - what would happen if animals turned against humans?

Well where to start? The flawed science didn't bother me as I suspect it will a lot of more pedantic readers, after all this is fiction. Rather the poor writing, terrible characters and lack of any tension or anything that really made me want to read on.

I found the main character really hard to like or to empathise with. Other supporting characters felt like they didn't really have any substance or interesting characteristics. The book is a respectable length but at times it felt like nothing was really happening. I kept putting this book down and not getting that feeling of I need to find out what happens next. More like I felt like I should struggle to the end because it might get better. Plus the ending isn't great - no spoilers here, maybe it is meant to shock but it just felt like such a cop out.

I think the idea was good and probably would be excellent if it had been more well executed. I don't like to criticise books but I really did feel this was a poor effort by Mr Patterson. If you want to read a James Patterson book then actually I would highly recommend checking out some of his young adult books - seriously they are a whole class above Zoo!
33 Comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?