Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

4.0 out of 5 stars I feel like Batman..but not THE Batman, 29 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3) (Video Game)
This game (not demo) is, without doubt, marvellous.
'Does exactly what it says on the tin', is a perfect phrase to use, when describing this game. The gameplay is easy to pick up, the graphics are fantastic, sound and music fit the mood and feel of the source material perfectly and this all contributes to the overall success of the game.
Its a well written plot too, the premise, that Im sure you all know from reviews etc, is perfect for this type of game. Its not'Batman does God of War' as some reviewers will have you believe. Any game in which you can dispose of the henchmen without being seen in most of the game, can never be levelled with this description. If one must give it a brand as it were, I would describe it as 'Batman does Metal Gear', no sneaking or stealth in the Boss battles, but plenty in the game.
The good points covered..BUT
Im am still waiting for the Batman game to end all Batman games. A sandbox, GTA style game, a fully explorable Gotham, coupled with another comic-inspired plot, and of course full use of the Bat-Vehicles etc. Past attempts on the PS1 &PS2 have been weak, mostly because they have been based on the films, and have bitten off more than they can chew. This game is a good start to rejuvenating the Batman-Video game brand.
Arkham shows us the direction, hopefully someone will take advantage of a sole-PS3 release, and create a game of epic proportions.
Maybe just a far-flung dream? Maybe something that will finally unlock the full potential of the PS3.
Verdict: buy it, its great (simple as)

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Sep 2009 00:06:06 BDT
blackadder says:
See, what you dislike about the game (not being a gotham city sandbox game) is one of the things that I love about it. Instead of doing the usual superhero game where theres a huge lifeless city with too much empty space, they've made it so you're isolated on a small Arkham Island with no chance of escape, at the mercy of Joker and all the other escapees. It has a brilliant atmosphere, a bit like Bioshock's rapture, that I don't think a sandbox city game could have. Plus, since its set in a smallish area, every nook and cranny is literally packed with references and easter eggs, so nothing feels empty or void of personality. I think a sandbox Batman game in Gotham could be really cool, but I'm glad they decided to go with this route instead.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2009 19:52:43 BDT
Carol Morgan says:
Firstly, I dont dislike the closed-off situation of Arkham, far from it, like you I think it was the right way to go with this game. In my review, I meant to suggest that I see this as a starting block to further Batman titles, and that my ideal Batman game would be a fully explorable Gotham (maybe a long way down the line)
Secondly, if youve ever played Assasins Creed (which I rate as one of the best PS3 games to date) the stealth and atmosphere are kept at top quality even in the sprawling masses of the huge cities.
'Batman: Gotham City' would have to be incredibly well scripted and created...theyve done it with Arkham, so I cant see why lightning wont strike twice.
I give this game 9.5/10, hence the 4 stars, not the 5 stars
The game just left me wanting more and more... the mark of a great game

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2009 01:48:12 BDT
This is a fantastic game theres no questioning that, but i know what your saying samuel i was also left wanting more, its a truly fantastic game, but it has so much more potential surly in the future it can only get better, fingers crossed it will deliver.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2009 14:14:25 BDT
I think it would be good to have a future Batman game that is a fully open world of gotham city( but at least we get a full open world of the arkham asylum) The only problem is it would be HUGE and the graphics would probably suffer in order to allow such a huge game, just like Prototype which has disaterous graphics and controls. Infamous on the other hand has excellent graphics and controls, but the game isn't that big. We have the incredible hulk, and even iron man possibly? as free roam super hero games but the batman is easily the best of the bunch, so maybe the fact that it isn't an open world is why it's been so successful, or at least helped it in it's stride a little? Alot of games take the open world direction since GTA and it's kinda getting tedious and predictable now. That's my opinion anyway. I think the best free roam game ever made has to be fallout 3, captured it perfectly.

Posted on 14 Oct 2009 10:52:05 BDT
Trigger says:
This review is a little disjointed... you admit Arkham Asylum is a great game but are more focused on what it isn't rather than what it is. Like blackadder, I think being set in the comparatively small location of Arkham Island plays to its strengths and areas are full of stuff to do secrets to uncover - compared to the likes of GTAIV or Infamous which are still excellent but often boring and with excessive travelling, Arkham is consistently exciting, never dull and very well balanced.

I'm sure there will be a sequel and I expect it will be set in Gotham in a free-roaming area, but I hope Rocksteady keep things reigned in and sensibly sized, because I think if it is too large it will lose the masterful pacing and balancing Arkham Asylum has.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2009 20:04:07 BDT
Carol Morgan says:
I just didnt want to rehash what other people have already said about the game. The graphics, storyline, gameplay, music and vocal-work are all worthy of at least 9/10, I just felt inclined to mention what I would want out of a game in order to turn that 9 into a 10.
If this game is used as a formula for a sequel that is set in Gotham as a whole, then they will reap the benefits in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2009 21:23:32 GMT
soapdish says:
Thank you... this last comment has helped me decide to buy this game for a 50+ gamer, who's very critical about graphics, storyline, gameplay etc. I suppose this is a stupid thing to write because, well, who isn't critical about those things!
so, anyway, thanks!
If it's bad, I'm sure he'll write his own negative review!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2010 00:31:54 GMT
hope he enjoys it!!
its the game of 09 i think. narrowly ahead of Assassins 2

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2010 13:23:23 BDT
Apologies for the slightly random question but why mention blackadder? I'm a huge fan of blackadder so it caught my eye! Can't see the connection to Arkham Island though!

Btw, I agree about the setting of the game, I loved the fact that it was a big enough area to explore but small enough so that lots of details could be included. I do like sandbox games but occasionally I like smaller games as there is such a thing as too much freedom! I don't know if that makes any sense!

Apparently the second game will be based in Gotham City but you'll probably only have access to sections of it at a time, this will mean that the whole city will be featured but the quality of the graphics will likely be preserved. I hope so anyway!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›