Select Your Cookie Preferences

We use cookies and similar tools that are necessary to enable you to make purchases, to enhance your shopping experiences and to provide our services, as detailed in our Cookie Notice. We also use these cookies to understand how customers use our services (for example, by measuring site visits) so we can make improvements.

If you agree, we’ll also use cookies to complement your shopping experience across the Amazon stores as described in our Cookie Notice. This includes using first- and third-party cookies, which store or access standard device information such as a unique identifier. Third parties use cookies for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalised ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products. Click ‘Customise Cookies’ to decline these cookies, make more detailed choices, or learn more. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie Preferences, as described in the Cookie Notice. To learn more about how and for what purposes Amazon uses personal information (such as Amazon Store order history), please visit our Privacy Notice.

Customise Cookies

Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 16 April 2016
So, funny story - this book just APPEARED in my Kindle, as if by magic. Apparently I even paid full price for it! (I never pay full price for anything). But Amazon reckons I did, about 6 months ago - I suspect one of my little girls was messing with my iPad, kids eh - and I ended up with WRECKAGE in my TBR queue, whether I liked it or not ...

... But it's all good, cos I LOVED the concept and writing here. The twist on the "stranded on a desert island" motif is brilliant, plus it's such an easy read - I zoomed through it, it felt effortless. The characters really hooked me in, plus the author's twist on Lily vs Lilian, David versus Dave, contrasting how they are in "real life" versus how they are on the island is really strong. The whole set up too - Genevieve the interviewer trying to catch them out on their lies - reminded me of Gillian Flynn's. Really, really good.

Alas, like I often feel about Gillian Flynn, I found the ending quite weak in comparison to the rest of it, which impacted on me somewhat. The sudden "about-face" of the characters - especially Jerry's bombshell at the end - didn't quite ring true for me; it felt like everything got "wrapped up" quite neatly. Even a Hollywood movie like CASTAWAY (2000) makes the point that SUCH a life changing ordeal means *everyone* has to move on, literally as well as figuratively, because everything gets split asunder. (I'm only mentioning this by the way to account for the 3 stars for the ending, rather than the 4 I would have given to the rest of it).

However, Bleeker's talent is not in doubt - as far as I'm concerned, she's a kickass writer and I will definitely look for more from her. It's so weird her book appeared from digital-nowhere cos I'd never heard of her, or WRECKAGE, but I'm glad it did. I will definitely read more from this author.
9 people found this helpful