on 16 February 2002
Oh dear. Someone please tell Steve Biddulph to stop trying to write parenting books. I feel embarrassed for the man eveytime he flounders around, mis-matching enlightened, empathic parenting practices with old-school child-rearing approaches. He needs to decide which school of thought he's from. He recommends reading Liedloff's 'Continuum Concept', but if he's taken on board even the spirit of this book, he wouldn't touch his own behaviour modification techniques with a bargepole.
Biddulph writes some perfectly acceptable pieces of wisdom about not smacking (horray!), or 'following through', but then he has this tendency to make some terrible blunders. He aims to be child-centred, but in my estimation falls miserably short, particularly on the subjects of emotions, shyness and tantrums. Infact his misguided advice in these areas made me want to have a tantrum! And if I do I sincerely hope that Steve Biddulph isn't around so that I can express my true feelings without fear of punitive repercussions.
My frustration is that he presents this psuedo-progressive approach, but at the end of the day he still sees children as manipulative, and in need of training, modifying, or controlling, along with the nasty Drs. Ferbers and Greens of this world. If you do not share this viewpoint you need to be reading a different type of book altogether. Our children deserve more respect than this.
59 people found this helpful