on 7 June 2006
This is my second Martina Cole book, having read The Know. I was gripped from page one when I read The Know and was pretty sure The Ladykiller couldn't suck me in as well as The Know did. Boy was I wrong. The Ladykiller is another brilliant book from Martina Cole and it'll keep you turning pages until the early hours such is the mastery of the author at keeping you guessing what will happen next. I read it in 3 days straight and if I didn't have pesky work to distract me from my reading I would have finished it a lot sooner!

The story centers around 3 main characters; DI Kate Burrows, East-End Hardman Patrick Kelly and the Grantley Ripper himself, George Markham.

DI Kate Burrows is assigned to the case of the Grantley Ripper who has been abducting, raping and murdering young women. Kate is so thoroughly engrossed in her job that she doesn't see what's happening with her own daughter until it's almost too late. The Rippers second victim is the daughter of local hardman, Patrick Kelly. Kelly's daughter, Mandy, was his world and her death has propelled him on a quest to find her killer and exact revenge. This task becomes more complicated when he falls for DI Kate Burrows. The Grantley Ripper (aka George Markham) meanwhile is on a roll and nobody can stop him.

What I love about The Ladykiller is the down to earth realism that Martina Cole brings to the book with the characters explored in such depth that you feel you know them. It's also one of those rare books that really keeps you guessing how things will turn out right up until the last chapter.

I'm fast becoming an avid Martina Cole fan and will be snapping up a few more of her books very soon. If they're anything like my first two experiences I'll be very impressed!
11 Comment| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?