TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 March 2011
Peter Allison was a 19 year old Australian backpacker when he ended up working in the bar at a safari park in South Africa. After a couple of years he progressed to safari guide and moved to a camp in Botswana. This is a collection of anecdotes over the stream of his career. The kind of stories he might tell sitting around the bush fire at night: The time I almost got eaten by a crocodile. Rude tourists that I have encountered. The time I outfoxed the monkeys who were keeping me awake. The time I stranded my tourist group in a hippo pool. The time we got lost in the Okovanga Delta. And so on. Many of the stories are extremely self-deprecating and I can't help suspect that there's been some embellishment along the way, but that only adds to the entertainment factor.

My initial impression when I started reading was that Allison was rather annoying, but he won me over by the sheer entertainment value of his stories. This is not the best book if you're wanting a serious read about animals and their behaviour, but it will definitely create the urge to head off on safari. A very engaging and amusing collection of stories. Recommended.

While there are some photographs included, I wish there were more - specifically it would be good to include a honey badger and a genet.

If this whets your appetite for similar reads, I recommend Backseat Safari, which is written by a nature photographer working in Southern Africa.
0Comment| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?