on March 1, 2010
Taubes is considered as THE low carb hero, paving the way for good nutrition, and giving relief to diets such as primal, paleo, atkins and south beach. But not based on his opinion or his own research...based on a thorough, detail, systematic and objective review of literature from the 19th century to today.

I bought this book to learn more about how the low carb diet i have chosen affects my body, and as a teaching/introduction aid to my friends and family to explain why I eat the way I do. i got more than I bargained for, as the message of the book is not 'low carb is great', it is 'why have we been eating the way we have'.

The studies cited in the book examine the causes of obesity, the shift in cultures to the westernised diet, the details of biology such as HDL/LDL cholesterol, and the notions of calories in equals calories out. The book seems as unbiased as a book can be and really presents ideas in a way that let the reader make up their mind.

Its quite a tome to get through because of the number of new ideas in introduces, but I would consider it to be one of the most important books I have ever read, because for me, it confirms that the 'low fat high carb' diet that our government recommends is literally killing some people, and by choosing to eat less refined foods and more good fats I can positively impact my health.
22 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?