on 30 December 2001
As my eyes couldn't run across the page fast enough I was begging with my housemates to reveal the impossible ending that was coming towards me like the express train itself.
Luckily they didn't. There are few books that make one speechless after reading them but this was mine, though after my initial awe I bleated my admiration of the author to everybody I met.
Although I am normally only a fan of Miss Marple in Agatha Christie's works, she weaves her wand of compassion over Poirot and the passengers of the train, allowing the fabric of reality to settle around a moral conclusion which grips you and pulls you until the last.
Although a relatively young reader I appreciated it with memorable vigour. Make sure you have a spare day because it will not leave your sight!
29 people found this helpful