5.0 out of 5 stars Canon 700D DSLR, 26 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Canon EOS 700D Digital SLR Camera (EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens, 18 MP, CMOS Sensor, 3 inch LCD) (Camera)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When buying an entry-level DSLR, there are many brands to choose from; Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax. However there are 2 things to consider. Once you "buy into" a brand, you generally are stuck with them due to the compatibility of lenses, flashes etc. Secondly are you going to progress beyond that level? Arguably only Canon & Nikon cover the higher ends of the market. Sony represents exceptional value at the entry level but perhaps offers less at the pro-amateur level?

Personally I have concerns about the quality of some of the Canon products. My 17-85 IS lens failed me after only a couple of years.
This camera is a perfect replacement & upgrade for my old Canon 350d which has served me well for over 7 years. I also have a 40D which is much heavier but offers faster shot rate, more pixels, expanded ISO range etc.

The 700D is the latest in the "amateur" Canon DSLR range. The reduced sensor cameras go something like this; 1100D, 100D, 700D, 70D & 7D. After this, comes the full frame sensors.

The 700D is based on the 650D but uses a AF system designed to work better with the new STM lenses; 18-55, 18-135, 40mm pancake.

What you get...
You get the body, a 18-55 IS STM lens, charger, a couple of CDs, a strap and simple USB data cable.
The manual is 400 pages thick(!) and you don't get a handy reference guide.
The battery was supplied 2/3 charged but a full charge is recommended which initially should be overnight.
This uses a full size SD card. I recommend a faster class 10 card with a speed of 45mbps to accommodate HD video recording to prevent buffering problems. 32Gb is enough for over 3000 shots and should be enough for a few hours of video,

Appearance, Build & Ergonomics
There are only minor cosmetic differences between this and the 650D, there are major differences from my 350d This actually appears to use the same body as the 650d; it is made of a lighter plastic and feel less sturdy than the 350d BUT is it lighter & I don't think it would break easily. It has a robust rubberised grip unlike the 350 which had a thin rubber coating which wore off over the years.
Good weight & well balanced with lens attached, this should be fine with a larger lens. The buttons are well placed for those with average sized hands but if you have large hands, you may find the button layout a little fiddly, which is the draw back of the reduced sized bodies.

Screen
The screen is side hinged & can be viewed from a multitude of angles; overhead, waist level, folded out, folded in or folded away. One neat trick I found is that when taking a "selfie" and you rotate the screen to point towards the subject, the camera automatically goes into Live View mode. The quality of the screen is excellent. Colour, contrast & brightness are very good. The touchscreen is fairly responsive & the interface is easy enough to use.

Controls & Interface
All of the major controls are via buttons with some fine-tuning using the touchscreen. This is a major improvement over the 350d, enabling more freedom to experiment with settings quickly such as TV, AV & M modes. It took a little getting used to perhaps a more visual GUI may have made more sense.

Lens
The supplied 18-55 F3.5 - 5.6 lens is image stabilised and uses the newest stepper motor. This new motor is extremely quick and completely silent, unlike the old USM lenses. This kit lens is certainly a major step-up from the old 18-55 non-IS lenses they used to supply with their kits. It's a little longer than the previous 18-55 USM. It takes a filter and lens hood but neither are supplied.

Taking photos
Anyone who is familiar with the use of Canon DSLRs will immediately feel at home with this item. The addition of an intuitive touchscreen makes tinkering of the settings very easy hence I found I tended to experiment more with my photography.
The supplied kit lens provided respectable results. The photos were a little soft compared to, say, my Canon 17-85mm
My "test case" was a close-up of a flower in my garden. I find this to be a good test of focus, level of detail, colouration, contrast etc.
The supplied lens did a respectable job but once I had swapped over to the 17-85 and compared this against the 40D, based on my initial test, I was truly impressed by the results.
The AF is super fast & accurate. The metering was OK in evaluative mode but on Spot the results was excellent. The level of detail & colouration on the photo was very impressive.
When using the 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM lens, the results were better than the 40D by some margin. When using the kit lens, they were comparable. Essentially this means my 40D is obsolete!

Live View - what to expect
The camera has a live view function. Unlike my 40D, this can autofocus in live view. This is a real luxury on a SLR as it enables some additional creativity during composition but it is NOT a direct replacement for the viewfinder. The additional lag in moving the mirror & additional AF time prevents this being used as a good point & Shoot camera. If this is a real problem for you then I would recommend a mirrorless camera system like a m4/3 camera.

Video
The Canon 700D takes full HD video, that's 1080p. You should be able to get a ew hours onto a 32Gb card. Just ensure you have a fast enough card. 45mbps was recommended to me.
One of the main problems with the earlier models was the noise of the lens motor during shooting. The new STM lenses alleviate this problem by having near-silent stepper motors. I can confirm that there is no noise from the lens motor whatsoever. The file sizes are huge; a 31s video took-up nearly 190mb. So you'd get 2.5 to 3 minutes per gigabyte?! The video quality was excellent with absolutely no judder. Sound quality was a little "thin". If you were going to use the video facility seriously, I would recommend an add-on mic.

Connections & Software
On my Windows 7 PC there was no need to download any drivers. Photoshop Elements saw the camera & simply downloaded the files into my organiser. If you don't own Photoshop or anything similar, then Canon provides their Solutions Disc which includes a downloader & organiser. I have not used this latest version, but the earlier versions for the 350D were horrid. My advice would be to purchase a good bit of software fairly soon after buying this. In the mean-time the Canon software is functional but just about bearable.
Mini-USB cable. Downloading is remarkably faster than on my 350D.. probably due to the speed of the card.

The 700D is a definite upgrade from the 350D & would perhaps even recommend from the 400/450. If you have a 1000D this seems a logical step don't bother if you have a 600/650. Currently this is the best camera for a reduced body Canon and even holds-up well against the older models of the next series up (i.e. the 40D)
I really don't have any negatives to speak of at this price. If you want extras such as a heavier metal body or weatherproofing then you will have to pay for it (and carry it around!)
Out of interest I sold my 350D for £100 which I'll likely put towards a new lens, possibly the 40mm Pancake or a 15-85 IS.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Oct 2013 06:53:04 GMT
W. Argyle says:
WOW What a GREAT Review. ... You have SOLD it to me ... Now try my WIFE !

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2013 13:04:25 GMT
Sanjay says:
Thanks! You could show her the picture I uploaded.. it's with the product pics. Cheers

Posted on 29 Mar 2014 05:21:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Mar 2014 05:21:37 GMT
Had to replace my 650D which i dropped and broke and since I liked it I bought the look-alike 700D which is absolutly OK.

Was suprised by the kit lens which is actually very good and really fast focusing making it the first kit lens which you actually can film video with.

The lens works almost as good as the focusing system on my camcorder Canon Legria HV 40 for example.

Excellent review BTW.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2014 16:38:50 BDT
Fabio Pedro says:
Lol, i can relate to that! :D ehehehe

Posted on 13 Jun 2015 12:13:55 BDT
DG says:
So this camera is an upgrade over the 100D?

Would it work for a complete beginner in your opinion?

Thanks for the great review

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2015 15:26:23 BDT
Sanjay says:
My old camera was the 350D and this was a huge improvement. Not sure about the 100D but they are quite similarly specified. The only differences are things like the auto focus and having a flip out screen.... nothing major.

If you wanted to go for the 700D would certainly say that it is a good camera to learn photography. The Auto mode is very effective and the touchscreen led allows you to really change the settings.

Just bear in mid that the 100D is also a fine camera for beginners and a bit cheaper.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2015 22:57:32 BDT
DG says:
Thanks, very informative. Another piece of advice I received was to actually go to a store and see the cameras in question before deciding (including a Nikon one but I'm biased towards Canon as my uncle uses it)

I prefer the controls and general feel of the 700D, now just need to wait until payday to buy it and start shooting

Thanks again

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2015 14:59:09 BDT
Khalid says:
Hi Sanjay, for sound would I be able to connect my blue yeti microphone to it?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2015 19:24:08 BDT
The camera has a 3,5 mm audio jack for connecting an external mic.

Posted on 7 Aug 2015 17:03:45 BDT
DG says:
Does it come with a memory card?

I don't think it does, is there a particular card or brand you would recommend?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›