on 9 August 2013
I absolutely LOVE Diane Chamberlain's books, Every so often you find an author that makes you stop and think "WOW" and Diane Chamberlain is that for me, I first discovered her books many years ago and since then i have followed her and bought all of her novels. When I first heard about Necessary Lies, I was eagerly awaiting it among her many other loyal fans and I could not wait to get started!

In North Carolina in 1960, Jane Forrester is fresh out of university and soon to be married to a doctor. Whilst her husband to be is keen for her to be a housewife, having dinners on the table, joining the club of the other wives and concentrating on having children with him. But Jane has other ideas - she wants to be independent and pursue a career, and further to that, she wants to be in a career where she helps others. Much to the distaste of her husband, Jane starts working as a social worker, but the job is far from what Jane expected. She encounters a world of poverty unlike she's seen before, and whilst working with the Hart family, Jane uncovers a secret. But what can she do about it? What should her choices be? And at what risk?

Words cannot describe how much I LOVED this book. To say it is powerful is a big understatement. Diane's writing moved me in a way that I haven't been able to stop thinking about the story and the characters. Whilst I was cooking or even sleeping my mind was with Jane and the Hart family, and even after finishing, in my mind I'm already missing them and I feel like they have grown to become really good friends of mine.

The characters are PERFECTLY written. I liked Jane from the very beginning, she is your everyday hard-working girl who has the desire to have a career and help others. I warmed to her instantly and I became very emotionally involved with her, throughout the story I really got behind her and I was cheering her on as she made some huge decisions and went through with them. I was desperate to read on because I really wanted things to go well for her. I also loved Ivy, I won't say too much about her but I really liked her too and I felt I understood her, she was one of my favourite characters and I'm still thinking of her after finishing.

As is expected with a Diane Chamberlain, there are controversial topics explored and many moral dilemmas are brought up. This is what I love so much about Diane's books, she always makes you think and causes you to put yourself in the shoes of the characters involved. As i was reading I was constantly pondering my own views, would I have taken the same decisions? Would I have done something differently? How do I know what is right and what is wrong? I REALLY want to talk about it but I'm going to keep quiet because in this case it is best to go in without any outside influences, so that everything can unravel at the right tie and so you all can make up your own minds.

Above all, this is an extremely emotional novel. I couldn't concentrate on anything else whilst I was involved in this novel, and I even took to talking to my husband about the characters and their situations as though they were my best friends. I warn you: this is an emotional rollercoaster of a book! I laughed with them, I smiled at some scenes and my heart was touched by the beautiful writing and some of the actions of the characters, And at the same time there were some truly shocking moments that had me gasping for breath, I disliked certain characters with a passion and oh how I cried - I used up so many tissues sobbing.

Necessary Lies opens you up to a world of poverty, discrimination, and the harsh world that is sometimes around us. But in this novel there is also hope, strength courage and true determination. I was blown away by this novel, it is truly outstanding.
0Comment| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?