on 31 January 2014
I hadn't listened to this album since the70s. For financial reasons I'd been forced to sell my vinyl copy, along with all my decent albums and my record player back then, and I had never replaced it.
Finding this copy, even on CD, was neither easy nor cheap (over twenty quid!) and it was always possible that, after all this time, I would no longer like it.

Thank goodness it was every bit as good as I'd remembered it. If you like Mr Wainwright, I promise you'll love this record. Apart from one track, where he's joined my his then wife, Kate McGarrigle (mother of Rufus and Martha), Loudon accompanies himself alone on the guitar.

Although some of the songs lack his later maturity - thus the four-star rating rather than five - in my view there isn't one duff track on the album and I'd recommend it, not only to his established fans who might not have it, but also to anyone coming to him for the first time.

If you can find it, buy it.
|0Comment|Report abuse| Permalink