3.0 out of 5 stars Breville Halo Fryer to buy or not to buy (update) not to buy, 30 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Breville VDF065 Halo Health Fryer, 1 Kg, 1200 Watt - White (Kitchen & Home)
I bought the Breville Halo Fryer a few days ago.
I had read all the reviews on Amazon.
After being a lover of the actifry, but had to admit although they do what they say the actifry is badly designed.

So I as my last Actifry had just gone in the bin, I decided to give the Breville a try.

The Breville arrived and it was well packed as expected.
Once out of the box I noticed that compared to the Actifry it was more solidly built.
The materials used where of better standard and quality.
The Breville looks smart and although is a bit larger than the Actifry, i like the look of this machine.

After reading the instructions I decided to cook some chips with real potatoes not frozen.

I placed my chips in the Breville after rinsing them and patting them dry.
I put in the required amount of oil.
Set the timer and off it started.
No problem at first, but within a couple of minutes, the paddle began to stall, it was struggling to push the chips around.
I took the chips out and put them back in again, ensuring the paddle was place inside properly, but still had the same problem. In the end I had to take out the paddle and let the chips cook without the paddle.
This meant that every few minutes i had to open the machine and shake the chips to ensure they were cooked evenly.
The chips in my opinion were far better than the ones out of my old Actifry.

I have now contacted Amazon who are sending out a replacement. I am hoping that the one I have is faulty and the replacement will work fine.

I will post an update when I have tried the new machine.

UPDATE AFTER REPLACEMENT RECEIVED.

well i was expecting better.

The new Breville Halo arrived. i was hoping that the first one was faulty.
It seems that this is not the case.

The paddle still seems to be the problem.
I tried to do chips again, but they started to turn to mush or mash very quickly.
So I decided to try parsnips, which I think are a bit more robust.

in they went and within a minute or two the paddle could not cope. this was not a mass amount of parsnips, this was one parsnip cut into strips. if you like mush chips and mush veg, then this is the machine for you. i prefer my chips to look like chips and my roast parsnips to resemble roast parsnips.

So here is my verdict.

Pros & Cons for both machines.

I will start with the Actifry.

1. Smaller and less bulky than the Breville

2. Does actually cook chips and veg without turning them into mash

3. Takes approx 20 mins to cook proper chips

4. The material used to make this machine is in my opinion is cheap and substandard
I.e

The lid has a tendency to break off at either the opening catch or the fixing which attaches it to the machine,
The paddle after a few months becomes brittle and will break.
The rubber under the paddle disintegrates
The lid which is supposed to let you look at you food cooking, distorts in colour, making viewing hard.

All the above said the machine does cook the food properly.

Now to the Breville.

1. Bulkier than the Actifry.
2 a more solid machine very robust.
3. Materials used are in my opinion far superior apart from the paddle.
4. Actually takes approx 30 mins to cook real chips.
5. The only problem I see with this machine is that for some reason they have skimped on the paddle. A child could have designed it better. I for one can see where the problem is. The paddle does not need the long black piece of plastic it sits on. No use or purpose.
If the paddle was independent to the machine then it would work fine in my opinion.

So the decision is yours.

My comments to the manufacturers

I for one will be going back to the Actifry, not because it is better quality because it is not, shame on you Tefal, but because it works. Although replacement parts are expensive.
Tefal you need to ask yourselves why you need to supply replacements parts, could it be that the material you are using is of poor quality. I rest my case.

Breville.
Why on earth have you made such a robust machine with a substandard paddle. Maybe you were trying to get a piece of the action to early. . You should have waited until you sorted out the paddle.

Again ladies and gentlemen. The choice is yours.

I hope this helped.

20/12/2012. Update
I decided as I said above to go back to the Actifry, but not the 1kg Actifry the family Actifry 1.5kg. The more expensive model.
See my review on the 1.5kg Actifry.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Dec 2012, 11:21:02 GMT
Bee says:
I am now having the same problem with this fryer!

Posted on 16 Dec 2012, 13:07:05 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 16 Dec 2012, 13:14:23 GMT]

Posted on 29 Dec 2012, 20:01:02 GMT
I found this review so incredibly helpful, that I will hold off until other versions are released. Thank you.

Posted on 31 Dec 2012, 12:38:01 GMT
mummybear says:
I too agree with Michele Dillon what a extremely helpful review. I definately will be doing more research before I decide to buy. Thank you very very much Vanessa.

Posted on 31 Dec 2012, 17:56:32 GMT
wilbur says:
Total agreement the paddle is rubbish, my daughter tried, I tried it and the chips keep getting jammed.

Posted on 31 Dec 2012, 19:22:18 GMT
J. Jordan says:
My Dad just brought this model and we tried using it for the first time tonight - to cook some frozen chips. Like the reviewer says the paddle doesn't work it kept bunching the chips together and they did indeed turn to mush. Plus they were in the thing for around 40-50 and they weren't even luke warm - and no we didn't put too many in there were only 12 chips and they didn't have any ice on them. In my opinion the 'halo' part wasn't on for a long enough time to get the machine up to a hot temperature. Maybe the machine faulty but having read the review above I don't think so.

Posted on 2 Jan 2013, 20:31:35 GMT
R. A. Lunn says:
I have just purchased the Halo Fryer.
I agree The paddle does struggle to push the chips around.
As stated before, it turns then to mush.
Would not recommend it.

Posted on 16 Jan 2013, 04:11:07 GMT
says:
A big Thanks Vanessa.
That was a excellent review, I could actually see you putting the chips in, mainly because you wrote it so clever like this.

Well done you!

Shame about the product though.

Posted on 16 Jan 2013, 17:43:00 GMT
Libs mum says:
I have, today, just returned my Halo for a replacement - for the exact same reasons as Vanessa. The paddle gets 'stuck' and the machine stops. It also turns the potatoes (wedges, chips or small dice) into 'crumble'.
I phoned Breville and a customer advisor just said "that shouldn't happen, just take the paddle out!!!!" I could just have bought a halogen oven for a LOT less money if I were to do that.
I decided against the Actifry after reading a lot of horror stories. I'm now wondering if the Halo is just as bad in it's own way.
If this replacement is no better I may return it for a refund - which is a shame as it cooks salmon beautifully.
I do like the not having to wait for it to heat up.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2013, 17:44:46 GMT
Libs mum says:
I havn't found the machine needs to heat up and my food did cook quickly enough. Maybe this one was just faulty ?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›