on 14 June 2006
For those of you who are fans of Gary, I know you will buy this. If you are unfamiliar with his work, in the 70's he was a mega-quick player in Isotope & also worked with percussionist Stomu Yamashta.

This is very different. Yes it is more mature, yes it is great guitar play, but it doesnt excite me. I genuinely want Gary to be hugely successful. I met him after a gig he did with John Etheridge in Manchester in the early 80s. His understanding of tone, timing and spacings had changed as he had been working with a number of "old" session guitarists. They played a lot of John Scofield tracks - they rated Sco very highly & at the time I'd never heard of him. Outstanding.

I was so looking forward to it as Ive not heard anything new from Gary for a decade & wanted to hear how he had matured. This album is a bit too jazz-based for my tastes and not enough sonic variations within the compositions. Gozo is great (is it a rewrite of an Isotope track?). - I would disagree with the previous reviewer - I dont think this is fusion, so please take note.

If, like me, you like more fusion, there are a lot better albums than this. I also prefer Scofield for jazz guitar with more interesting compositions.

I would certainly recommend anyone to check out Gary's work, whether this be the blistering pace of Isotope, or his solo albums of the 80s - he is an outstanding guitarist and theres lots of really good tracks, but maybe you need to listen to some tracks before buying.
6 people found this helpful